Aptis is a highly reliable online test of the British Council that tests candidates' English skills in a variety of language skills with great precision. Aptis consists of five components:
Reading (35 min);
Grammar and Vocabulary (25 min);
Writing (50 min);
Listening (40 min) and
Speaking (12 min).
Each tested skill is assigned a CEFR level. If all components are completed on time, an overall CEFR level is assigned. Each CEFR level describes the language competencies in the individual skills described on the back of the report.
With Aptis you can:
- Assess the English language skills of its employees, teachers and students and compare them with an international standard (CEFR);
- Get an accurate assessment of the candidate’s knowledge where a certain English level is required;
- Identify the need for further language improvement;
- Check the readiness of students to study in English;
- Check the readiness of candidates to take a high-stakes exam, e.g. an immigration visa exam or admission to university.
Aptis is a very flexible test that candidates can take at any time during the year and get results in 48 hours.
To prepare for the Aptis test, download the Candidate Guides here:
Aptis General: download
Aptis Advanced: download
Aptis Complaints and Appeals policy: download